Tuesday, January 2, 2018

“To Be” is my only “Do”


I find worth, fabricated acceptance, and counterfeit purpose in doing… and anytime I’m “not doing”, pressure, guilt and disappointment consume me to the point that I often shut down into an overwhelmed state where all of my doing is merely self-destructive in nature.

Hello, my name is Christie and I am addicted to “doing.” Anyone else have this deceptive nuisance constantly tapping on their shoulder? Where did pressure, guilt and failure to “do” come from? It certainly wasn’t from God.

Why doesn’t the bible include more specifics on how Jesus lived before His ministry?

A few times this year, this question came to mind. WWJD - I mean, wouldn’t following this popular mantra be so much easier if we had actual examples and knew what to do?!? There has to be a reason for its omission for every word of the Bible (even Leviticus and Ezekiel) serve a purpose.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,(NIV)

As I pondered this hard truth, God showed me it was because distraction and legalism would take root in our lives. We would be so focused on doing exactly what Jesus “did” that we would forget to just “be” and let Him do. My m.o. is often to worry over the details when there is only one thing worth being concerned about (Luke 10:41-42).  

"Doing" is God’s job, "Being" is ours.  

A year and a half ago, I began writing to publish a word the Lord placed on my heart 6 years ago and formed a ministry through. As I’m in the finishing stages, I’ve become paralyzed with fear. What if something is incorrect? What if it’s not good enough? What can I “do” to make it better? I’ve spent several months in a frustrated state that has brought me to a season of burnout. Looking back, I see now where my doing not only overshadowed my “being” with the Lord, it seized it.  

The Christian life isn’t a list of do’s and don’t, it’s a state of being. Synonyms for “to Be” include remain, continue, abide, be found in, rest, cling to and wear among many others. To Be is my word for 2018 and I look forward to learning and experiencing the one thing worth being concerned about!

"To Be" is our only "Do"!

No comments:

Post a Comment