Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Little by Little

As I've mentioned before, there has been a life long issue that I've faced and am tearing down one block at a time. Little by Little. We all have one; why does it have to take so long?

Exodus 23:30 Little by little I will drive them out from before you, until you have increased and are numerous enough to take possession of the land.

Why? So I may know that my dependence and strength comes from God and not of myself. When I am strong enough in Him and have clarity and wisdom from Him; then I will find that freedom from it.

So, I know freedom is coming. And in the interim, I will CHOOSE to: 
  • Say one of Joyce Meyer's famous lines. "I'm not where I want to be, but thank God I'm not where I used to be. I'm OK and I'm on my way."
  • Address the issue and identify where I am being deceived
  • Learn how to gain freedom from it
  • Wait expectantly for Him to rescue me.

Now... lets get back to the issue at hand - that dreadful issue MANY of us women have - Our Body Image. In this area right now, I have two competing mindsets (lies)

  1. You CAN eat that because you're pregnant. (This one takes over very easily in the moment)
  2. I can only gain X amount of weight. I shouldn't have done that and must be better next time and exercise more!!! (This takes it's place soon after the moment passes and until the next weak moment comes)
Talk about two personalities - two extremes - two competing thoughts. Can anyone say GIRL... YOU NEED SOME BALANCE!?!?!

I'm either over-indulging (Have I mentioned how much better food is when you are pregnant???) or I'm obsessed with the way I look and how much weight I'm gaining. It's a nasty set of lies and a cycle that I am fighting daily right now. Every time I go by a mirror, I stop and turn to the side to see "just how bad I look." - Yes, you heard right. Pregnancy is beautiful, but Satan is trying to take that away from me.

Let me also take you back to pre-pregnancy. The past few years, my struggles with food and weight have been much more contained and under control. However, I must admit the obsessiveness of it has never let up. I would always walk by that mirror and feel inferior, I would still overindulge - but then run extra far that day; and would constantly be comparing myself to others. I am realizing my own thought up solution (even though it was temporarily working) was merely counterfeit and its time to get to the root issue.

THE ROOT ISSUE:
  • That nasty lie of "I'm not good enough" is still deceiving me in this one area (2 Cor 5:21). I compare myself to other women NO matter what size I am. (2 Cor 10:12). I'm measuring myself against the wrong rules (Romans 7:4).
  • I'm going to food to "fill" me (spiritually) instead of to God; which leaves me feeling emptier than before. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). 1 Timothy 5:6 But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.

In the book, Live Differently, Think Differently, Bob Hamp refers to this type of struggle as bondage (Being stuck or dissatisfied). I would have to agree. So... now I've identified this area of bondage. How do we overcome it?
Hamp says We must have the CORRECT DEFINITION OF FREEDOM to find it
  •  Real Freedom is NOT the absence of boundaries
The boundary is not the problem. It's there for our own good. The BELIEF that the boundary is the problem causes us to stay stuck. (i.e. Once I’m the size I want to be, than I am free. If only I could eat whatever I want like her, than I will be free. It’s not fair, I can’t eat those foods. I'm going to just have to run extra far today.)

  • Real Freedom is NOT the absence of frustrating habits
Your habit is the symptom (an outward sign of the freedom we lack inwardly). You must identify and treat the root cause. Go to the word and look for the Truth (John 10:10). (i.e. Controlling my appetite / not looking in a mirror or a scale helps my symptoms, but the root cause of my issue is in disbelief that God can truly fill me in this area)

  • Real Freedom is NOT coming when my circumstances or relationships change
Don't look for an event or a person to put the blame on. Accept responsibility and hand it over to God. (i.e. I’m stuck because I live in a house full of boys who love junk food. It’s their fault b/c they don’t like to eat healthy)


NOW, while I am WAITING expectantly for freedom, I will CHOOSE to
  • Take these lies that come into my head captive
2 Corinthians 10:4-5 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
  • Know the Truth and Replace the lies with Truth (the Word) 
John 8:31-32  “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome words Christie! You are so inspiring. It's amazing how God is working in your life!

    ReplyDelete