Exodus 23:30 Little by little I will drive them out from before you, until you have increased and are numerous enough to take possession of the land.
Why? So I may know that my dependence and strength comes from God and not of myself. When I am strong enough in Him and have clarity and wisdom from Him; then I will find that freedom from it.
So, I know freedom is coming. And in the interim, I will CHOOSE to:
- Say one of Joyce Meyer's famous lines. "I'm not where I want to be, but thank God I'm not where I used to be. I'm OK and I'm on my way."
- Address the issue and identify where I am being deceived
- Learn how to gain freedom from it
- Wait expectantly for Him to rescue me.
Now... lets get back to the issue at hand - that dreadful issue MANY of us women have - Our Body Image. In this area right now, I have two competing mindsets (lies)
- You CAN eat that because you're pregnant. (This one takes over very easily in the moment)
- I can only gain X amount of weight. I shouldn't have done that and must be better next time and exercise more!!! (This takes it's place soon after the moment passes and until the next weak moment comes)
I'm either over-indulging (Have I mentioned how much better food is when you are pregnant???) or I'm obsessed with the way I look and how much weight I'm gaining. It's a nasty set of lies and a cycle that I am fighting daily right now. Every time I go by a mirror, I stop and turn to the side to see "just how bad I look." - Yes, you heard right. Pregnancy is beautiful, but Satan is trying to take that away from me.
Let me also take you back to pre-pregnancy. The past few years, my struggles with food and weight have been much more contained and under control. However, I must admit the obsessiveness of it has never let up. I would always walk by that mirror and feel inferior, I would still overindulge - but then run extra far that day; and would constantly be comparing myself to others. I am realizing my own thought up solution (even though it was temporarily working) was merely counterfeit and its time to get to the root issue.
THE ROOT ISSUE:
- That nasty lie of "I'm not good enough" is still deceiving me in this one area (2 Cor 5:21). I compare myself to other women NO matter what size I am. (2 Cor 10:12). I'm measuring myself against the wrong rules (Romans 7:4).
- I'm going to food to "fill" me (spiritually) instead of to God; which leaves me feeling emptier than before. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). 1 Timothy 5:6 But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.
In the book, Live Differently, Think Differently, Bob Hamp refers to this type of struggle as bondage (Being stuck or dissatisfied). I would have to agree. So... now I've identified this area of bondage. How do we overcome it?
Hamp says We must have the CORRECT DEFINITION OF FREEDOM to find it
- Real Freedom is NOT the absence of boundaries
- Real Freedom is NOT the absence of frustrating habits
- Real Freedom is NOT coming when my circumstances or relationships change
NOW, while I am WAITING expectantly for freedom, I will CHOOSE to
- Take these lies that come into my head captive
- Know the Truth and Replace the lies with Truth (the Word)
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.