Jesus Calling, Sarah Young, July 24
Thankfulness is built on a substructure of trust. When thankful words stick in your throat, you need to check up on your foundation of trust. When thankfulness flows freely from your heart and lips, let your gratitude draw you closer to Me. I want you to learn the art of giving thanks in all circumstances. See how much time you can thank Me daily; this will awaken your awareness to a multitude of blessings. It will also cushion the impact of trials when they come against you. Practice My Presence by practicing the discipline of thankfulness.
Psalm100:4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
So, how can we apply this to the rest of our Thanksgiving week?
- If you are traveling for the holidays and have delays or difficulties getting there, don't complain, be thankful for the ability to travel and a place to go and share this holiday with someone.
- When you arrive and are surrounded by family that drives you bonkers.... stop those thoughts and replace it with thankfulness ... of a home to go to and a family to celebrate with.
- When you eat too much turkey, dressing, pies and everything else - don't think Why did i eat that? and get down on yourself ... be thankful that you always have food and today is a day to enjoy yummy rich foods without the guilt.
- If you have to work on Thanksgiving or the day after, count your blessing of having a job in a time when unemployment rates are so high.
- If you do not have family to celebrate with, celebrate with your heavenly father and Thank Him for always being at your side. Thank Him that you are NEVER along and for this holiday weekend to spend with Him.
- IF you're one of the crazies who gets out in the Black Friday mess ( I am sometimes, but not thinking that will be this year), be thankful that it is not a mandatory thing, but instead one of your own doing.. and stop complaining. :)
- And if you are me, right now, who at 5am is pretty miserable from a nasty throat and chest cold... and literally got 4 hours of sleep in 2 hour increments this Thanksgiving Eve, count your many blessings.
- There are many who live daily with chronic things like this or worse
- If I cannot sleep, I will spend time with my God. Thank you Lord for this time with you.
..A Thankful mind-set does not entail a denial of reality with its plethora of problems, Instead, it rejoices in M e, Your Savior, in the midst of trials and tribulations. I am your refuge and strength, an ever-present and well-roved help in trouble.
Habakkuk 3:17-18 Though the fig tree does not blossom and there is no fruit on the vines, [though] the product of the olive fails and the fields yield no food, though the flock is cut off from the fold and there are no cattle in the stalls, Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will exult in the [victorious] God of my salvation!
Psalm 46:1 God is our Refuge and Strength [mighty and impenetrable to temptation], a very present and well-proved help in trouble.