Thursday, April 4, 2013

Martha, Martha, Martha...

... so, I have been running non-stop since I got back from my trip to Alabama for Easter. All of our bags are still packed and laying where we brought them in. The house is a complete wreck - and I'm overwhelmed as I look at it. Last weekend, I took my husbands Ibuprofen instead of bringing it to him ... and didn't even realize I had done it for at least an hour (Thank the Lord it was nothing stronger)!!! 

Some of you may say... "that's just Christie", or "it's just baby brain." I disagree ... it is EXTREME BUSYNESS.... one of Satan's most deceptive attacks. And I believe this attack is becoming more and more prevalent for all of us... especially in America. We are trying to do WAY too much - and technology is only feeding the problem. (For example, while we were traveling back on Monday, I spent most of my time on email coordinating and taking care of loose ends. What did we use to do before cell phones, much less iPhones came along??? Enjoy our families, that's what!!!). 

MY WAKE UP CALL was yesterday afternoon in the car with my kids on our way to soccer practice. It was another crazy day. (I was lucky to find 15 minutes to shower before we left ... all the while, Allie was screaming in her bed so you know I felt the mommy guilt). Anyway, my 7 year old all of a sudden said, "You are being like Martha, Mom." I didn't get it at first, but when I did. It hit me like a ton of bricks!!!

Luke 10:38-42 At the Home of Martha and Mary
 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” [Emphasis mine]

If my wee ones are noticing, then my life is REALLY out of balance! The first thing I did was praise my son for bringing it to my attention.  I took a deep breath, then prayed aloud, "LORD, HELP ME BE A MARY IN A MARTHA WORLD" ... He truly calmed me! Afterwards, I asked my boys to forgive me and to let me know when I start acting like Martha again.  

We are sooo distracted with life and all the busyness. Can I get an Amen! 

And we wonder why we can't hear God's voice. His still small voice (1 Kings 19:11-12) can only be heard when we are being a "Mary" ... sitting at His feet listening.

SIMPLIFY. I had already been convicted lately about simplifying my life - but this brought it to a new level. There are many things I can be doing... many of them good... but are they the best thing for me to be doing right now... Better yet, are they what God has specifically called me to be doing right now.  I think it is important... no vital... for all of us to stop, take inventory and bring it to His feet for His guidance and direction. I've had to stop and say no to some GOOD activities that I enjoy recently. This is great, but obviously, as seen through my son, there is still a problem.  

What is the root issue? Time management. Nope... Better Yet... Getting my priorities right.

PRIORITIZING

1) GOD:  
 Matthew 6:33: But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
  • Give Him the first part of my day and truly "sit at His feet."
  • Pray for Him to multiply my time and energy 
  • Pray for wisdom and ask Him what my day is supposed to look like.
2) FAMILY / SPOUSE:  Matthew 19:4-6
  • How are you and your spouse right now? If your answer is "not good." - then God is not your first priority (Matthew 6:33). 
  • Sit at the Lords feet and pray for my husband (Recommend The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian. It changed my marriage.)
  • Look for ways to encourage and support Him (make his days easier)
  • Protect our time together (date nights, couch time, etc.) 
3) FAMILY / CHILDREN:  Proverbs 22:6

  • How is your time with your children? If your answer is "not good." - then God is not your first priority (Matthew 6:33).
  •  Pray for Wisdom and strength in training them up (2 Corinthians 12:9)
  • Give them daily one on one time (100% of your attention for a small set time). Set the timer and call it your special time and let NOTHING take away from it.  (working on this one!!!)
  • Let vacation time be vacation time (It is not time to be on the computer, TV, iPhone, etc.) 
  • Let them see you "sitting at His feet" and learn from your relationship with God
4) WORK / MINISTRY
  • How is job, career, ministry? If your answer is "not good." - then God is not your first priority (Matthew 6:33).
  •  This comes AFTER relationships (family and friends) Colossians 3:14 

So...What about you? Did this speak to you? If so, don't just pause and think... that was good... and continue in your busyness. STOP and do something about it! SIT at His feet and ask Him if you are too distracted to hear Him. 

Try this exercise 
1. Sit still for 5 minutes 
2. DO nothing, THINK about nothing, SAY nothing. 
3. If you cannot do this... then you are too busy!!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment